Natural disaster can strike at any time, and if one is unprepared for a power outage, the impact of downtime is huge.
If you have any question, consider this sampling of natural disaster events that occurred worldwide during January 2015, according to Impact Forecasting’s latest edition of its monthly Global Catastrophe Recap report:
- Western Europe were struck by a series of four powerful windstorms over a seven-day span during January. Windstorms Elon, Felix, Gunter, and Hermann impacted Ireland, the United Kingdom, Norway, Denmark, Germany, and Poland, causing tens of thousands of power outages, and severe disruption to travel and transport. Economic and insured losses were expected to reach hundreds of millions of euros.
- Two separate winter weather events impacted northeastern parts of the United States during the month, including one of the strongest Nor’easters in history that brought record snowfall to parts of the Northeast. In Massachusetts, some locations reported up to 36.0 inches (91.4 centimeters) of snow, while major cities in the region were brought to a virtual standstill as transit systems were closed. Total economic damage and losses (including business interruption) were minimally estimated at USD500 million.
- Severe weather in Oman damaged homes, infrastructure and the electrical grid. Total economic damages were listed at USD221 million, with insured losses to vehicles at USD26 million.
- Two mid-January earthquakes struck China’s Xinjiang region and Yunnan province causing damage to 17,500 homes. No fatalities were reported and combined economic losses were listed at USD16.1 million.
As you can see, natural disaster happens, and natural disaster impacts on power supply can be unrelenting. Being prepared for a natural disaster is absolutely critical for successful businesses.
Organizations that lack the tools to prevent power interruption risk the loss of employee productivity, sales opportunities, revenue, and even valuable customers. That’s why smart businesses prepare with reliable backup systems.
Latest posts by April McCarra (see all)
- Averting Data Center Disaster: Install the Proper UPS Solution - August 23, 2017
- Unified Power Strengthens Offering With LionHeart Acquisition - October 31, 2015
- Unified Power Welcomes Vice President of Channel Sales - October 14, 2015